Friday, August 14, 2026
DEVELOPING

Pentagon Budget Blueprint Targets $892 Billion in FY2027, Prioritizing Pacific Deterrence and AI-Enabled Logistics

The Defense Department's most significant spending reorientation in over a decade retires more than 120 legacy platforms while accelerating unmanned
X / Twitter
LinkedIn
Print

The Defense Department’s advance budget submission for fiscal year 2027, released Wednesday by the Office of the Secretary of Defense, totals $892.4 billion — a 4.7 percent increase over current-year enacted levels — and represents the most significant reorientation of American military spending priorities in more than a decade.

The blueprint, which must still navigate the congressional appropriations process, places unmanned systems, hypersonic countermeasures, and artificial intelligence-enabled logistics at the center of a restructured investment portfolio. The Indo-Pacific Command would receive its largest proportional funding increase in over twenty years under the submission, with $14.2 billion dedicated to deterrence initiatives across the first island chain.

“This budget is not incremental,” Deputy Secretary of Defense Elaine Merritt told reporters at a Pentagon briefing Wednesday morning. “It reflects a fundamental reassessment of where we must compete and how we must fight — and a candid acknowledgment that our legacy force structure was not designed for the threat environment we face today.”

The submission includes a request to retire more than 120 legacy aircraft platforms across all services — including additional F-16C/D variants, the remaining B-1B Lancer fleet, and several aging surveillance aircraft — while accelerating procurement of B-21 Raider stealth bombers and long-range strike munitions. The Air Force would receive $41.8 billion under the proposal, including $6.2 billion for 24 additional B-21 Raider aircraft.

“We are choosing to divest yesterday’s capabilities to fund tomorrow’s requirements. That is a painful but necessary choice.”

— Secretary of Defense James Caldwell, in remarks to the Senate Armed Services Committee

Navy and Ground Forces

The Navy’s portion of the request totals $271.6 billion, with the largest line items dedicated to Virginia-class submarine procurement ($9.4 billion for three boats), Columbia-class ballistic missile submarine construction ($7.1 billion), and a $2.3 billion request to begin development of an unmanned surface vessel program the service is calling the Maritime Strike Drone. Shipbuilding accounts for nearly 35 percent of the Navy’s total budget request — the highest proportion since the Reagan-era buildup.

Ground force modernization accounts for $165.8 billion in the Army’s share of the request. The submission includes full funding for the XM30 Infantry Fighting Vehicle program following last month’s competitive down-select, $3.1 billion for long-range precision fires, and a new $1.2 billion line for Army Futures Command to accelerate integration of commercially derived autonomous logistics platforms in forward-deployed theaters.

Congressional Reaction

Defense analysts offered mixed assessments of the submission’s prospects on Capitol Hill. “The overall direction is right — they’re finally making real choices rather than trying to preserve everything,” said Dr. Cynthia Park, a senior fellow at the Center for Strategic and Budgetary Assessments. “But the question is whether Congress will accept the retirements. Historically, they haven’t, especially when district jobs are at stake.”

Senate Armed Services Committee Chairman Richard Kessler signaled his panel would scrutinize proposed divestments carefully. “We support modernization, but we will not allow the department to hollow out our forward-deployed posture to pay for theoretical future capabilities,” Kessler said in a statement Wednesday afternoon. A series of formal hearings on the FY2027 request is expected to begin the week of June 9. The House Armed Services Committee has not yet scheduled its markup.

Filed Under

Share This Story

X / Twitter
LinkedIn
Email
Print

Advertisement

300 × 250

Related

Daily Dispatch

The morning briefing on federal government — delivered to your inbox before 7 AM.

Advertisement

300 × 120

More from Defense

Listeria Recall Hits Walmart Tomato Bisque Soup Sold Nationwide

Kettle Cuisine LLC is recalling its Marketside Tomato Bisque Soup Kit sold exclusively at Walmart stores nationwide due to potential Listeria monocytogenes contamination, the Food and Drug Administration announced Aug....

DOJ Requires CRH to Divest Tennessee Asphalt Plants in Antitrust Settlement

The Justice Department’s Antitrust Division announced it will require building materials company CRH and its subsidiary APAC-Tennessee to divest two hot-mix asphalt production plants in western Tennessee as a condition...

HHS Reports Alleged Fraudulent Insurance Coding for Gender Procedures on Minors

The Department of Health and Human Services released a report alleging that health care providers used fraudulent insurance coding practices to conceal billing for gender-transition procedures performed on minors on...