Blinken: 'Russia's forces have committed war crimes in Ukraine'

Secretary blinken holds a press conference in brussels 51918419628
Secretary of State Antony Blinken speaks March 4 to the press in Brussels, Belgium. | U.S. Department of State/Wikimedia Commons

Blinken: 'Russia's forces have committed war crimes in Ukraine'

ORGANIZATIONS IN THIS STORY

With thousands of civilian casualties arising from Russia's invasion, U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken declared March 23 that Russia has committed war crimes in Ukraine.

“Today, I can announce that, based on information currently available, the U.S. government assesses that members of Russia’s forces have committed war crimes in Ukraine,” Blinken said in a State Department release.

He cited the targeting and destruction of civilian areas including apartments, schools, hospitals, shopping centers, personal vehicles and ambulances by Russian forces, the release said. He said these attacks have killed thousands of civilians.

The Council on Foreign Relations reported Russia launched a full-scale invasion of Ukraine Feb. 24. The conflict resulted in more than 900 civilian deaths and more than 2,400 casualties, in addition to causing millions to flee the region, according to the council’s Global Conflict Tracker.

Officials in Mariupol said more than 2,400 civilians had been killed in that Ukrainian city alone as of March 22, the State Department release said.

According to a State Department bio, Blinken is serving as the 71st Secretary of State. He was confirmed by the Senate Jan. 26, 2021, and sworn into office the following day.

ORGANIZATIONS IN THIS STORY

More News