Arizona man sentenced for illegal firearm possession linked to Australian police killings

Webp gc3xtlpwre36boarqi52hb55mcls
Timothy Courchaine United States Attorney for the District of Arizona | U.S. Attorney for the District of Arizona

Arizona man sentenced for illegal firearm possession linked to Australian police killings

ORGANIZATIONS IN THIS STORY

An Arizona man was sentenced to three years in federal prison after being found guilty of illegally possessing firearms and ammunition, following his online communication with individuals responsible for the killing of two police officers and a civilian in Queensland, Australia.

Donald Day, Jr., 61, from Heber, Arizona, received a 36-month prison sentence and three years of supervised release on February 12, 2026. U.S. District Judge John J. Tuchi handed down the sentence after Day pleaded guilty to being a felon in possession of firearms and ammunition.

Authorities began investigating Day as part of an international probe into the December 2022 murders committed by members of the Train family in rural Queensland. The Trains killed two constables and their neighbor before dying in a standoff with Australian law enforcement. Investigators discovered that Day had been communicating anti-law enforcement sentiments with the Trains via social media prior to the attack.

“Donald Day Jr. chose to use online platforms to advocate for violence against law enforcement and public officials, disregarding the danger his actions created,” said U.S. Attorney Timothy Courchaine. “Day regularly shared the same rhetoric with a family in Australia, who tragically took the lives of their neighbor and two constables. Our thoughts continue to be with the colleagues and families of those lost in Queensland. I’m proud of the work done by this justice team to hold Day accountable for his crimes.”

"Donald Day Jr.'s use of social media to encourage attacks on law enforcement officers and government officials around the world was despicable," stated Special Agent in Charge Heith Janke. "This case exemplifies the lengths FBI Phoenix will go to avenge law enforcement partners, including those murdered overseas. Day's crimes were as harmful as the attacks they incited. Today's sentence shows that threats posted online will be vigorously investigated and prosecuted, and we'd like to thank the Queensland Police Service and the United States Attorney's Office for their dedication to ensuring justice was served."

“The tragic events of 12 December 2022 will forever be marked as a dark day for the QPS and Queensland communities. The loss of constable Matthew Arnold and constable Rachel McCrow, and neighbour, Alan Dare, continues to weigh heavily on the QPS family and the broader Queensland community, and our thoughts remain with their families, friends, and colleagues,” said Queensland Police Service Deputy Commissioner Cheryl Scalon. “The QPS deeply values the strong partnership with the FBI and the U.S. Attorney’s Office, District of Arizona, whose collaboration has been instrumental in bringing this matter to justice. The sentencing of Donald Day Jr. and legal proceedings highlight the importance of international cooperation in addressing serious crimes that transcend borders. We remain committed to working closely with our national and international law enforcement partners to ensure justice for the victims and their families.”

Day had previously been convicted of several felonies before living outside Heber on rural property where he continued expressing anti-law enforcement views online while communicating with members of Australia's Train family prior to their attack on police officers.

After learning about their deaths during a standoff with authorities—following their video referencing him—Day made further online posts echoing violent rhetoric against law enforcement personnel.

A search at Day’s property uncovered nine firearms—including a short-barreled rifle—over 10,000 rounds of ammunition, as well as evidence indicating regular shooting activities despite his status as a convicted felon barred from firearm possession.

The investigation was conducted by FBI Phoenix with assistance from Queensland Police Service in Australia; prosecution was handled by Assistant U.S. Attorneys David Pimsner, Abbie Broughton, and Glenn McCormick from Arizona’s District office.

More information about this case is available through http://www.justice.gov/usao/az/

ORGANIZATIONS IN THIS STORY