Osiel Adame-Gomez and Miguel Velazquez-Garcia have appeared in federal court in Atlanta, facing charges related to the alleged distribution of large amounts of fentanyl. According to criminal complaints filed in federal court, both men are accused of possessing fentanyl with the intent to distribute.
“Fentanyl is a highly lethal weapon of mass destruction that the narco-terrorist cartels have wormed into our country,” said U.S. Attorney Theodore S. Hertzberg. “We will continue to aggressively pursue and prosecute fentanyl traffickers to keep the community safe from this deadly drug threat.”
“This seizure underscores the power of coordinated enforcement efforts,” said Jae W. Chung, Special Agent in Charge of the DEA Atlanta Field Division. “Together with our federal, state, and local partners, we are aggressively targeting the sources of fentanyl distribution and the financial infrastructure that sustains it. Every enforcement action brings us closer to a Fentanyl-Free America.”
Earlier this month, Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) special agents received information about an intended sale of fentanyl at a Doraville warehouse using a rented moving truck. On February 5, 2026, agents observed Adame-Gomez at the warehouse with such a truck. He was seen driving it to another location and carrying a black backpack into a storage facility. When law enforcement tried to stop him after he left without the backpack, he fled but was later apprehended in Dunwoody, Georgia. A search of the storage facility led agents to recover one kilogram of fentanyl valued at about $30,000.
On February 9, 2026, DeKalb County police stopped Velazquez-Garcia’s car in Stone Mountain after a police K9 detected narcotics odor; officers found one kilogram of fentanyl inside his vehicle. Subsequent searches at houses linked to Velazquez-Garcia in Stone Mountain and Stonecrest resulted in agents seizing three more kilograms of fentanyl and suspected drug proceeds.
Adame-Gomez, age 27 from Loganville, Georgia, appeared before U.S. Magistrate Judge John K. Larkins III on February 9 on charges related to possession with intent to distribute fentanyl. Velazquez-Garcia, age 26 from Atlanta, appeared before Judge Larkins on February 11 for similar charges. Both were ordered held without bail pending trial.
Authorities remind that these criminal complaints contain only charges; both defendants are presumed innocent until proven guilty beyond reasonable doubt at trial.
The cases are being investigated by the DEA with assistance from Gwinnett County Police Department and DeKalb County Police Department.
Assistant U.S. Attorneys Johnny Baer, Jamie Bircoll, and John DeGenova are prosecuting these cases.
This prosecution is part of Operation Take Back America—a national initiative using resources from the Department of Justice against illegal immigration and transnational criminal organizations while protecting communities from violent crime perpetrators.
The United States Attorney’s Office for the Northern District of Georgia serves as the main federal law enforcement agency for millions across north Georgia—including Atlanta suburbs—and works closely with other agencies on issues like terrorism and drug trafficking (https://www.justice.gov/usao-ndga). The office handles both criminal prosecutions and civil matters representing the United States (https://www.justice.gov/usao-ndga), prioritizing threats such as terrorism and human trafficking (https://www.justice.gov/usao-ndga). It coordinates cases that can have nationwide or international dimensions (https://www.justice.gov/usao-ndga).
For information about drug dangers for parents and children: www.justthinktwice.gov.
Further details can be obtained through USAGAN.PressEmails@usdoj.gov or (404) 581-6016.
