Secretary of State Antony Blinken has issued a statement commending the European Union’s (EU) sanctions against the Russian-paramilitary Wagner Group and its affiliates earlier this week.
In a Dec. 14 State Department press release, Blinken welcomed the EU’s actions to sanction the Russia-backed Wagner Group and its associates, claiming it underscores a joint commitment to respond to destabilizing actions in multiple regional conflicts, including Ukraine, Syria, Libya, Central African Republic and the Sahel region.
"We applaud the EU for its commitment to promoting respect for human rights around the world, as well as upholding the territorial integrity and sovereignty of Ukraine," Blinken said in the release.
U.S. officials vowed to continue to promote shared democratic values and called on international partners to adopt similar sanctions, the release said.
The EU recently imposed sanctions on the private military contractor as well as three entities and seven or eight individuals, Reuters reported. The sanctions on the additional entities and individuals are meant to impact companies working with the mercenaries, given the lack of direct links between the Wagner Group and the EU.
In a press release from the Council of the European Union, officials state the individuals listed by the EU were reportedly involved in serious human rights abuses, including torture and extrajudicial killings. This comes as the Wagner Group is said to have recruited, trained and sent private military operatives to conflict zones around the world to fuel violence, loot natural resources and intimidate civilians, the release said.
Sanctions will include travel bans and asset freezes, prohibiting others in the EU from making funds available, either directly or indirectly, to those listed, the release said. Blinken added that U.S. officials will back the EU commitment to promoting respect for human rights around the globe, along with upholding the territorial integrity and sovereignty of Ukraine.