Christopher Cobb, 33, of Memphis, Tenn., recently pleaded guilty to making a bomb threat against a federal agency building as well as illegally possessing a firearm, according to a March 8 news release by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s Homeland Security Investigations.
In April 2021, Cobbs reportedly called the Memphis office of the Social Security Administration to inquire about a claim. When an official told him his claim had been denied and that he would need to file for an appeal, Cobbs became irritated. The SSA official hung up when Cobbs began saying expletives in anger. Cobb reportedly called again several minutes later, threatening to "blow up" the SSA building the following day.
Cobb's home was searched soon after and an M-1 rifle with ammunition was found within. As Cobb is a former convicted felon, he was in illegal possession of the firearm. After waiving his Miranda rights, Cobb admitted to possessing the firearm and making the bomb threat.
“The safety of our citizens and communities is a top priority of HSI and threats against government facilities must be taken seriously,” said HSI Nashville Special Agent in Charge Jerry C. Templet Jr. “The investigative efforts of our agents in this case, working with their law enforcement partners, resulted in a guilty plea by this convicted felon and seizure of his illegally possessed firearms and ammunition.”
Cobb's sentencing is set for June 9. He faces up to 10 years of imprisonment with no chance of parole.