Seven people were shot and killed March 9 in Hamburg, Germany, at a Jehovah’s Witness meeting hall with the motive still unknown.
According to a report by the BBC, the suspect was identified as 35-year-old Philipp F. who acted by himself and then took his own life. He was previously a member of the religious community and reportedly had hostile feelings toward it.
“We strongly condemn the senseless act of violence in Hamburg, and our condolences are with the loved ones of the victims. We stand with Germany and the local community and pledge our support,” U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken said in a March 20 post on Twitter.
Among those killed were six German nationals and an unborn baby, BBC reported. There were four men and two women shot and killed. Eight people were also injured, including a Ugandan and Ukrainian. The pregnant woman survived, but lost her unborn child.
AP News reported the Hamburg congregation currently comprises approximately 60 members. Hamburg is reportedly home to nearly 4,000 members of the denomination and has a total of 47 congregations.
“In view of the previous history regarding the relationship between Philipp F. and the Jehovah’s Witnesses, it at least can’t be ruled out that Philipp F. acted out of hatred toward this community,” Arnold Keller, Hamburg prosecutor, said, according to AP News.
“The United States government strongly condemns the senseless act of violence that occurred at a Jehovah’s Witnesses hall in Hamburg, Germany, which resulted in several fatalities and injuries," a State Department news release reported. "Our condolences are with the victims and their loved ones during this difficult time. No one should have to fear for their safety while attending a place of worship. Such acts of violence have no place in any society. We stand in solidarity with the people of Germany and pledge our support to assist as needed."