The U.S. Department of Justice submitted documents to allow baby formula manufacturer Abbott Labs reopen its factory in Michigan.
The United States has filed a complaint and proposed consent decree with the court that would allow Abbott Laboratories to resume manufacturing baby formula at its factory in Sturgis, Mich., according to a May 16 news release. The document requires additional safety measures for this specific facility, ensuring compliance with both FDA standards as well as those set out by Health Canada's Food Deposit Guarantee Program.
“New: DOJ says it has filed a complaint + proposed consent decree with Abbott Labs over the closed baby formula facility in MI," Rob Legare said in a May 16 post on Twitter. "If accepted by a judge, it would allow the company to resume making formula under specific safety + compliance measures.”
“The actions we are announcing today will help to safely increase the supply of baby formula for families," Attorney General Merrick Garland said, according to the news release. "The Justice Department will vigorously enforce the laws ensuring the safety of our food and other essential consumer products, and we will work alongside our partners across government to help make sure those products are available to the American people.”
As reported by Food Safety News, Abbott's Michigan plant was previously shut down after cronobacter sakazakii, a bacteria that can cause illness in food when ingested by infants, was found at the plant. After the discovery, Abbott recalled its products and closed the Sturgis factory. Since then, a shortage of baby formula has been noted across the nation.
If the reopening of the Sturgis plant is approved, Abbott plans to be open for production within two weeks and be shipping baby formula to stores within six to eight weeks, according to Food Safety News.