The county of Hawai'i is required to close five illegal large-capacity cesspools in the neighborhoods of Phala and Nlehu on the Big Island.
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency announced comments on the proposed revision to the administrative order on consent will be accepted, according to a July 19 EPA news release. The county will have to assess various wastewater treatment technologies to replace the large-capacity cesspools as part of the planned amendment.
“The county of Hawai‘i is required to shut down the large-capacity cesspools serving the Pāhala and Nāʻālehu communities,” EPA Pacific Southwest Regional Administrator Martha Guzman said in the release. “Beyond these cesspool closures, EPA is working closely with the county to support both short-term and long-term wastewater planning."
The release reported the five large-capacity cesspools were required to be shut down by a voluntarily order created by the EPA and the county in June 2017.
"Providing appropriate wastewater treatment for Pāhala and Nāʻālehu is just one part of how the county will meet critical wastewater infrastructure needs for the protection of human health and water resources on the Big Island," Guzman said in the release.
Large-capacity cesspools cause pollution, which means they are prohibited under federal law, the release reported. The county recognized the previously proposed wastewater treatment plants had technical issues and the towns had serious concerns after missing a deadline that resulted in a $28,500 fine in late 2021.
According to the release, public comments are open on the revision proposal until Aug. 20.