Weiss: 'Defendants displayed utter disregard for the lives of innocents who crossed their paths'

Prisoncells
Dion Oliver faces life in prison for his part in the June 2017 shootings that killed a Newark woman and permanently injured a six-year-old boy. | Umanoide/Unsplash

Weiss: 'Defendants displayed utter disregard for the lives of innocents who crossed their paths'

ORGANIZATIONS IN THIS STORY

Dion Oliver has been found guilty for his part in the June 2017 shootings that killed a Newark woman and permanently injured a six-year-old boy.

U.S. Attorney for the District of Delaware David Weiss announced Oliver had been convicted of stalking, kidnapping resulting in death and conspiracy in a Nov. 16 U.S. Department of Justice news release.

“The defendants’ June 6 crime spree unfolded across multiple police jurisdictions and two separate states," Weiss said in the release. "Driven by the singular purpose of killing M.S., defendants displayed utter disregard for the lives of innocents who crossed their paths."

Oliver faces a mandatory life sentence. According to the release, evidence and witness testimony revealed Oliver collaborated with at least five other people in an effort to murder a man only identified in the indictment by the initials M.S. 

The release noted Oliver and his allies abducted Keyonna Perkins, M.S.'s girlfriend, June 6, 2017, and used her as a pawn in their ongoing search for M.S. She was held at gunpoint and forced into the trunk of her own car. Oliver and his accomplices found and shot at M.S. several times, but missed. 

Perkins was then dragged into the trunk of another vehicle and taken to Elkton, Md., where she was killed, the release reported. Oliver later shot at M.S. again after M.S. left the New Castle Probation and Parole offices. The bullets missed M.S., but hit a six-year-old in the head who was in a passing vehicle.

“These men displayed a total disregard for human life," Special Agent in Charge of the FBI Baltimore Field Office Thomas J. Sobocinski said, according to the release. “In an act of retribution, they not only kidnapped and killed a woman, they opened fire in the middle of a busy street, when kids were getting out of school; forever changing the life of one six-year-old boy as he was shot while riding in the backseat of his mom’s car. Rest assured, the FBI and our law enforcement partners will continue to pursue those who seek to terrorize our communities and hurt innocent people.”

The release reported Oliver's coconspirators included Ryan Bacon, Donte Sykes, Teres Tinnin, Maurice Cooper and Michael Pritchett.

According to Weiss, the investigation involved the collaboration and cooperation of numerous law enforcement agencies, the release reported.

"We thank all federal, state and local law enforcement partners who came together to help hold the defendants accountable for their crimes,” Weiss said, according to the release.

ORGANIZATIONS IN THIS STORY

More News