Twenty-seven charged over Bronx double homicide linked to Tren de Aragua splinter group

Webp oixmkmnqq9yxsbq85u9sugddccd0

Twenty-seven charged over Bronx double homicide linked to Tren de Aragua splinter group

Jay Clayton, U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York | Department of Justice

Federal authorities have charged 27 individuals linked to the Anti-Tren faction, a splinter group of the designated foreign terrorist organization Tren de Aragua (TDA), with a range of offenses including racketeering conspiracy, murder in aid of racketeering, murder-for-hire conspiracy, kidnapping, sex trafficking and related crimes. The unsealed 38-count superseding indictment accuses members of involvement in violent acts such as an April 15, 2024 double homicide in the Bronx.

Twenty-one defendants had been previously indicted; five of six newly named individuals are now in federal custody. In total, approximately 38 members or associates of TDA and Anti-Tren have been charged by the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York.

“As alleged, these members of Anti-Tren, a splinter faction of the terrorist organization Tren de Aragua, planned and carried out a series of horrific crimes, including gunpoint robberies, murders, and the exploitation of vulnerable young women through sex trafficking,” said U.S. Attorney Jay Clayton for the Southern District of New York (SDNY). “Tren de Aragua is in the business of murder, sex trafficking, and intimidation, and they brought that business to New York while being unlawfully present in the United States. Today’s charges reflect our commitment to bankrupt TDA and bring its members to justice. The gang members charged today exerted ruthless control over sex trafficking victims through intimidation, brutality, and threats of violence against them and their loved ones — leaving lasting trauma in their wake. The women and men of the SDNY are unwavering in their commitment to bankrupt gangs that corrupt our neighborhoods, prey on the vulnerable, and pursue violence as a way of life.”

“Homeland Security Investigations New York continues to stand at the forefront of investigations against vicious criminal enterprises like Tren de Aragua and Anti-Tren,” said Acting Executive Associate Director John A. Condon for Homeland Security Investigations (HSI). “Through their use of ruthless tactics and blatant disregard for human life, TdA and its offshoots are among the fastest emerging transnational criminal organizations to encroach upon American soil. HSI New York, through the Homeland Security Task Force, continues to target these gangs that seek to perpetrate destruction and terror in our communities. Together, alongside our law enforcement partners, we are committed to ensuring that no corners of the TdA and Anti-Tren enterprises are beyond the reach of justice.”

“TdA and its faction Anti-Tren grew from a prison gang to a transnational criminal organization to a foreign terrorist organization. The violence and horrific acts as charged here including the double murder, murder for hire, kidnapping, and sex trafficking will be met with the full weight of our justice system,” said Co-Director Christopher Eason of Joint Task Force Vulcan (JTFV). “The charges against these TdA associates and Anti-Tren members are directly in line with JTFV’s mission: a collaborative whole-of-government effort to destroy TdA and its factions. We are grateful for our partnership with the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York ,and our law enforcement partners who worked tirelessly to investigate and bring these important charges.”

Court documents state that Anti-Tren consists mainly of former TDA affiliates operating across several regions including New York City—specifically Bronx and Queens—as well as areas in New Jersey plus other states such as Illinois and Washington.

The group allegedly preserved power through violent acts directed at rivals—including original TDA members—and used intimidation tactics against victims or witnesses while seeking financial gain via illegal activities like human smuggling from Venezuela into America followed by coercive sex trafficking practices targeting young women known as “multadas.” According to prosecutors’ allegations outlined in court filings:

- On April 15th 2024 three defendants conspired in fatal shootings resulting in two deaths.

- Other incidents involve conspiracies targeting additional intended victims between February-April 2025 both within New York State & Florida.

- Members also allegedly orchestrated armed home invasion robberies & targeted drug traffickers.

- Two Venezuelan women were reportedly subjected separately during 2024 to forced commercial sexual activity under threat or actual use/possession/seizure involving firearms & immigration documents.

Authorities say gang leaders enforced compliance among trafficked women by threatening harm or retaliating violently if escape was attempted; there were also instances where disobedient group affiliates faced punitive assaults ordered internally.

Law enforcement agencies involved include Homeland Security Investigations units from multiple cities (New York City; Seattle; Chicago; Portland), NYPD divisions such as Computer Crimes Unit plus regional/national task forces comprising entities like ATF & US Marshals Service along with local police departments from Colorado & Washington State.

This prosecution falls under Joint Task Force Vulcan—a multi-agency initiative launched initially against MS-13 but now expanded toward groups like Tren de Aragua—and forms part Operation Take Back America which aims nationally at countering organized crime networks engaged with cross-border illegal activities.

The prosecution team includes Assistant U.S. Attorneys Jun Xiang,Kathryn Wheelock ,Timothy Ly,and Andrew K.Chan.The accused remain presumed innocent until proven guilty.