McCaul: 'It is extremely shameful the Biden administration continues begging the CCP for talks'

51081659 10157005703994860 9071952651301683200 n
U.S. Rep. Michael McCaul, R-Texas | Michael McCaul/Facebook

McCaul: 'It is extremely shameful the Biden administration continues begging the CCP for talks'

ORGANIZATIONS IN THIS STORY

President Joe Biden's administration's weak response to Chinese incursions on the United States "is extremely shameful," U.S. House Foreign Affairs Committee Chairman Michael McCaul said in a statement last week.

In his June 8 statement, Texas Republican McCaul, who previously chaired the House Committee on Homeland Security for three terms, remarked on a list of Chinese Communist Party incursions before lamenting about the Biden administration's response.

“In just the last few months a Chinese Communist Party spy balloon has traversed the U.S., a CCP military ship cut off a U.S. military ship in the Taiwan Strait, and the CCP banned Micron in China and raided other American companies," McCaul said in his statement. "The CCP is now escalating their aggressive behavior by setting up a spy base 90 miles from America’s shores in Cuba. It is extremely shameful the Biden administration continues begging the CCP for talks while the CCP’s malign actions speak for themselves."

CNN reported June 4 about China's accusations that the U.S. had been provocative twice in one week at the end of May. The first alleged incident involved interception of an American spy plane by a Chinese fighter jet, an allegation disputed by U.S. Indo-Pacific Command. The second incident allegedly occurred when a Chinese warship crossed in front of an American warship, leading to evasive action by the U.S. ship. 

Video evidence supported the U.S.' version of events in both incidents, CNN reported.

A June 9 CNN report said China is allegedly preparing to build a spy facility in Cuba to conduct espionage activities against the U.S., where officials only recently became aware of the plans. Reports about those planned followed U.S. interception and downing of a suspected Chinese spy balloon in February.

Last month, Forbes reported about Cyberspace Administration of China's ban on chips produced by the American company Micron, citing unsubstantiated national security concerns. The imposed ban specifically focuses on using Micron chips in computers that handle sensitive information.

In April, SHRM reported about the Chinese raid on Boston-based Bain & Co. in Shanghai, during which time computers, phones and other items were confiscated. The raid happened a month after U.S.-based Mintz Group was similarly raided by authorities. Executives from Raytheon and Lockheed Martin also have been banned from entering China.

Additionally, PBS reported about Secretary of State Antony Blinken's visit to China June 18. The visit's purpose is to enhance the bilateral relationship between the two nations, particularly following recent tensions, including those surrounding the spy balloon incident. 

Blinken is expected to meet with various Chinese officials during his trip, including Foreign Minister Qin Gang and potentially President Xi Jinping, according to PBS.

ORGANIZATIONS IN THIS STORY

More News